Wednesday 28 October 2009

Damson jam, the Vendetta!

Following last week’s disastrous damson jam-making fiasco (‘What kind of farmer’s wife can’t make jam?’), I was determined not to let those damn damsons get the better of me.

Last night after supper, the farmer decided to clean the chimney (when did he get chimney sweeping kit?) and not to be outdone by his industriousness, I retrieved the remaining damsons from the fridge and began again the sticky business of squeezing almond-shaped stones from flesh, by now very squidgy.

This time, I used my trusty Le Creuset pan with its suitably heavy bottom, throwing in the pesky purpley fruits and letting them warm through while I weighed and warmed the sugar. I had vowed to follow Delia’s recipe to the letter this time, but because the damsons were over rather than under ripe and I had substantially less fruit than the recommended quantity, I had to tweak things here and there. I also decided to roast some peppers to store in oil while the oven was on – sterilising the jars – and make myself a cafetiere of coffee.

Happily, I can report that despite these ill-advised extra curricular activities during the jam-making, I managed to produce 2 pots of unctuous damson jam the same wickedly luscious shade as my new Chanel nail polish: Vendetta. How apt! Now, if only I could conquer the strawberry...

PS – many thanks ‘Spurs’ for the first comment on BFW!! ('Wake up and smell the coffee...') Am off to celebrate with some tea and toast (and damson jam). Cock-a-doodle-do!






DAMSON JAM
600g stoned ripe damsons
400g granulated sugar
2 x jars

Preheat the oven to 110C and weigh the sugar, transferring to a heat proof dish and placing in the oven to warm. Place the fruit in a heavy based pan and turn the heat on low to warm. Wash and rinse the jars and lids and put in oven to sterilise. Tip the sugar into fruit and let dissolve completely over low heat.

Turn heat to high and when it reaches a fast boil, set a timer for 10 mins. Stir every few minutes to prevent fruit sticking to bottom...! After 10 mins, remove from heat and remove jars from oven. Leave to sit for 10 mins then decant into warmed jars. Cool, label and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I to am an avid jam maker with varying degrees of success, it all seems to depend on achieving that elusive setting point. Next time why not try damson gin. Much less effort, you don't even have to remove the stones. Although you do have to prick the damsons with a fork which can be tedious.
    450g damsons
    710mil (cheap) gin
    350g sugar
    Dry fruit and prick with a fork. Layer fruit and sugar in a kilner jar, pour on gin and close jar tightly. Put in a dark place, turning every few days until sugar has dissolved. After 3 months strain off damsons pour alcohol into dry sterilised bottle, seal and leave for six months - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete