Thursday 22 October 2009

What a twit!

This has been a big week for me on the new technology and social networking front. On Monday, I started my blog and yesterday I took the plunge into ‘global phenomenon’ (New York Times), Twitter, after a friend convinced me it would help drive traffic to the blog.

I set up a profile under BadFarmersWife and sure enough within 2 hours, there was a notification in my inbox saying: ‘Hi, BadFarmersWife! Brandon May is now following you.’ I clicked on the link and found that ‘Brandon’ is a 20-something R&B/hip hop artist from Dallas, Texas... How strange. Why would an American hip hop artist be interested in what a farmer’s wife from Scotland has to say? I re-read my Twitter biog: From city slicking to country living, I’m trying hard not to be a bad farmer’s wife. Oh dear.

I quickly edited my profile to make it clear I wasn’t that kind of bad farmer’s wife and as I’ve never been very good at witty one-liners, plumped instead for a line from one of my posts for my first ‘tweet’ followed by the blog link.

This seemed to do the trick as today I see that Brandon is no longer following me! I fear that signing up to Twitter may be taking this new technology thing a step too far, so am contemplating deleting my account and sticking to straightforward blogging. Anyone care to comment/post a reaction?? (Not you, Brandon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment