Friday 23 October 2009

Hostess with the mostest...

This weekend, the farmer and I are entertaining; a fairly infrequent event as I am a ridiculously anxious hostess (or, bad farmer’s wife). In a few hours, friends from down south will arrive with their 16 month-old baby for the weekend. And it’s been a busy 24 hours getting ready for our guests.

Yesterday, I paid my cleaner to stay an extra hour and this morning I headed for our local deli, Corner on the Square, in the dapper market town of Beauly to stock up on their brilliant black pudding and sundried tomato quiche, Cromarty Bakery breads and croissants, fat olives in rosemary and garlic, and some farmhouse cheeses.

En route home, I stopped at Ryefield Farm Shop, one of 3 fantastic farm shops dotted around us, and filled up on dirty carrots and tatties, Savoy and green cabbage, Ryefield's own apple juice, a bag of baby plum tomatoes and a velvety lollo rosso-type lettuce.












 I've already bought some lovely Buckie haddock from my infectiously cheerful fish van man, Lachie, which I’ll flour, egg and crumb for tonight’s tea – homemade fish and chips followed by Bramley and bramble crumble – and I’ve defrosted a bone-in shoulder of our own pork, which I’ll slow roast for 8 hours tomorrow while we’re out, and serve with baked potatoes, homemade coleslaw, salad and buttered corn on the cobs.

Not such a bad farmer’s wife after all, eh? I’ve even baked a banana cake, which was very easy to make and completely dairy-free (doh!).

LINDEN’S VEGAN BANANA CAKE
1 cup corn oil
3 cups dark soft brown sugar
1 cup soya (or regular) milk
Few drops vanilla extract
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup fine wholewheat flour
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp all-spice
2 lev tsp bicarb of soda
Pinch of salt
2 cups mashed ripe banana (3 large)
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Blend the oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, then tip in the milk, vanilla, flour and dry ingredients mixing to combine. Next stir in the nuts and banana. Pour into a large pyrex dish and bake at 160C for about an hour. This clever cake keeps for a few days and gets more moist with age!

TO POST A COMMENT, DOUBLE CLICK ON THE TITLE OF THE POST AND WRITE IN THE BOX AT BOTTOM - YOU DON'T NEED TO SET UP AN ACCOUNT. THANKS FOR READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment