Monday 9 November 2009

Dumpling Charms...

On my side of the family and for as long as I can remember, my Gran has always made a cake or a ‘Clootie’ dumpling for birthdays and special celebration dinners. And although I prefer to eat her Victoria sponge sandwiched together with whipped cream and homemade strawberry jam, I am far more excited by her darkly fruited dumpling because along with the sultanas and currants, the dense spiced pudding is studded with charms!

Scots recipes suggest 5p pieces for charms (pieces of silver), but carrying on the tradition of her Grandmother and Mother before her, Gran wraps a whole host of dinky talismans in greaseproof paper to bake into her dumpling.

After the fireworks at Cromarty on Friday night (Bonfire of the Vanities), Gran produced her dumpling for dessert, but before I get to that, let me tell you about the most memorable dumpling to date, pre-Guy Fawkes. It was about eight years ago at my Dad’s, I forget the occasion but as usual we each helped ourselves to the dumpling – this ensures the fate of the charm is completely in your hands! – and sat in front of our bowls waiting until everyone had got, abstaining from the custard and ice cream until the charms had been revealed.

Dad went first, unwrapping a tiny silver elephant – a charm denoting travel (he went to India the following year); my younger sister Kate went next, unwrapping a penny – the pauper symbol (she was a student at the time); my brother John got the 5p – silver for wealth (he had just sold his flat); I was next, tentatively unfolding my tiny greaseproof parcel to reveal...a ring – a sign that I would marry! (I met the farmer the following year and am still the only married sibling); then it was my elder sister’s turn. Reluctantly, she tore open her paper and out popped the thimble – the charm for spinsters...poor Vicky!

On Friday then, it was with some trepidation that we sat over our bowls wondering what charms were concealed in the musky, moist dumpling this time.

Bravely, Kate went first, delighted to discover a star – indicating she would shine at something (she is an excellent teacher); the farmer went next and also got a star (for his jam-making perhaps?); then it was my Mum: the penny (her house renovations have been expensive...); Gran got the 5p (she recently discovered a bond she had quite forgotten about); John enthusiastically unwrapped the thimble (a happy bachelor); Vicky wasn’t there so I went next, wondering what was left – travel? Unfolding the sticky paper, I tipped the charm into the palm of my hand. It was a tiny piece of pale blue velvet ribbon tied in a knot.

‘What’s this, Gran?’ I asked. She smiled. ‘That’s for a baby boy!’ (I was touched; it’s no secret we’d like family.) Everyone cooed.

Last but not least, it was the turn of Mum’s partner, Carlton. Bemused by the whole tradition, he brusquely ripped open his paper package as we all looked on eagerly. ‘Something you want to tell me, dear?’ he challenged my Mum, holding up his charm – a pale pink ribbon tied in a knot!


No comments:

Post a Comment