Wednesday 11 November 2009

Julie & Julia


The latest movies are often a little late in showing this far North, which is why I only got round to seeing foodie film Julie & Julia yesterday. It seemed somewhat indulgent to go to the cinema in the middle of the day, but I managed to convince myself that it was a work-related outing. It was, after all, the inspiration for this blog.

After reading some of my food memoir-type stories, friend and esteemed food writer Joanna Blythman suggested I start a blog to give me an edge when approaching a literary agent. ‘Have you seen Julie & Julia?’ she asked. At the time I hadn’t though I knew the premise: aspiring Manhattan writer, Julie Powell, blogs about her year of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, cooking her way through Julia Child’s famous cook book – 524 recipes in 365 days.

What I didn’t realise until yesterday afternoon, snuggled into my well padded seat at Eden Court Theatre’s La Scala, was how similar Julie Powell’s life was to mine! True, I live in Mulbuie not Manhattan, but I am a foodie; I have half written a novel (and a script); I have ADD (2 year boredom threshold); I am married to a saintly husband and now, I am writing a blog with a massive following...well, I can dream. The parallels were uncanny.

Reflecting further, I realised that I even have my own ‘Julia’. With six books under her belt, two newspaper columns, many food writing awards and all round epicurean excellence, Joanna encouraged and mentored me in my early food journalism days and continues to be my gastronomic writing guru.

Needless to say, I absolutely adored the film. It was, of course, foodie, funny, a little sad in parts but ultimately uplifting with Julie landing herself a publishing contract with Hollywood movie rights. And all from a humble blog...

Jo & Joanna anyone??

2 comments: